Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chia seed crackers

So, I finally got around to making the chia seed crackers (sugar-free, soy-free, gluten-free), and they are pretty good. If you like chia seeds, though, you already know that they can leave an "odd" sensation in your mouth, so I think next time I make these, I'm going to scale back on the amount OR try to spread them thinner. Since I haven't bought any silpat sheets yet (definitely need to do that) I just lightly sprayed a sheet pan and spread the mixture as much as I thought I could, though I'm sure I could have stretched it a little further.




Anyway, here is the recipe for them:

1/3 cup chia seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup ___________ (I used almond slivers, actually!)
**scant 1/8 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup agave
cinnamon, to taste
vanilla extract, to taste
2-4 T water, IF NEEDED

Grind the seeds/nuts/dried fruit up in a food processor to your textural liking. Add the agave, cinnamon, and vanilla, and pulse until mixed. The mixture should be thinner than cookie dough but thicker than pancake batter. If it's too thin, add a little water.

Spread it thin on a silpat or a lightly sprayed cookie sheet-- make it as thin as you can!

Bake at 300 for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Take it out of the oven and let it set for a couple of minutes, and then slowly start to peel it off the tray with a cookie (or an equally thin) spatula. Flip it over. (Note: I had to cut it into fourths in order to flip it all over without it breaking!) Once it is flipped over, bake for another 20ish minutes, or until golden brown on the other side.

Once out of the oven, cut it with a pizza cutter into whatever size/shape pieces you want. They will set up really fast, so cut them ASAP!

** Okay, the cranberries were just an experiment, because I love the pecan cranberry crackers at the store, which aren't vegan, I don't think. They tasted really good, but I recommend hand-cutting them into tiny pieces before adding them to the mixture. My awesome Ninja blender couldn't even shred them!

They have more taste and texture than most gluten-free crackers, and they would be AWESOME dipped in peanut butter, though if you spread them thinner than I did, they might be a little more brittle. They passed the David test, which is the best part! But, like I said, anyone who likes chia seeds know that they sort of coat your mouth a little, so I recommend drinking some water afterward, though you should, anyway! These are deemed "energy" crackers because of the protein, vitamins, etc. and lack of processed sugars/glutens/etc. While reading about chia crackers, I saw someone comment "Yes, they look like bird food-- but have you ever seen a tired bird? Me neither!" Ha, clever :)

Tomorrow, I will try the savory version of these. The savory version has fresh grated onion and garlic in them, so they HAVE to be good! :)

Oh, I also made another batch of the bread earlier, and completely veganized it by using Earth Balance and agave. SO. GOOD.


1 comment:

  1. For more information about chia seeds, and some recipe ideas, check out my website: www.chiativity.org

    ReplyDelete