Saturday, January 26, 2013

You're telling me that I still have to get up and feed the kids while I'm this sick?

Eh, I guess it's my parental responsibility to feed them, right? Even when I don't want to get up and do ANYTHING?

Heh. I'm joking.

Kind of.

Last night, I put together baked coconut and peach oatmeal and stuck it in the fridge, that way I could just pop it in the oven this morning. It wasn't vegan, as I still have yet to buy egg replacer and we are out of applesauce (the horror!), and I was too drugged out from this flu to remember that I could use chia seeds + water or flax meal + water as an egg replacer, so I just used the very last lonely (and not yet expired) egg that was in the fridge. Had I used one of the egg replacers, it would have been vegan.

I found the recipe here: http://fooddoodles.com/2012/09/18/coconut-peach-baked-oatmeal/

Instead of milk, I used vanilla soy milk (organic/non-GMO, of course). I cheated and use frozen, unsweetened peaches. I also used brown sugar instead of maple syrup (though I'm sure that syrup would've been great in this) and added a full tablespoon of cinnamon. I mixed everything together last night and refrigerated it, and before putting it in the oven this morning, topped it with sliced almonds for a little texture.

It tastes awesome. Both of the kids gobbled it up, which is good, considering that with the two of them still feel bad and I just started them out with a pretty high-protein breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment