Thursday, January 24, 2013

I hit a huge milestone today!

And seriously, I mean HUGE.

I....

*drumroll*

.... have officially gone one ENTIRE month without eating fast food!

Okay, that might have seemed a little anti-climactic, but when is the last time YOU had fast food? I am not at all trying to be condescending with that. It is so hard not to give in to the temptation of quick and highly satisfying (to our taste buds and pleasure-centers) meal, especially on nights where David has sports (Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday). I have tried to go a month without it before, but it just doesn't work. Two weeks in I say "oh, well... I really don't have time to cook tonight..." or  "If I don't get something terrible, like a salad, it doesn't count, right?"

Well, considering that tomorrow makes one month since I last ate animal flesh, it has been really easy to stay away from fast food. It kind of grosses me out to think that the majority of meat that I even ingested before going this route was from fast food, since I only cooked it maybe a couple of times a week here in the house,  yet I had fast food a couple of times a week.... ew.

**Side note** I keep missing the "s" on my laptop and typing "fat food." Freudian slip, perhaps?

Anyway, I feel very accomplished. It is amazing how much money that can be saved once fast food is no longer an option. I feel awesome that we have done this (Phil hasn't eaten it, either) and that we're being healthier examples for our kids! Now I just need to think of fun meals/snacks to pack in a cooler for on our way down to Hilton Head when the tennis teams are stopped at fast food joints :)

I dare you to go one week without it, guys! The longer you can go, the less you crave it. I don't even get a thrill from looking at the restaurant signs anymore. It's so great for my body and my mind, and it can improve your body and mind, as well.

Also... my blood pressure is already lower from cutting out (95% of) the animal proteins and replacing it with  tons of greens/veggies, grains, and fruits. I still use a little half and half in my coffee... I have yet to find a suitable vegan replacement for it. Any tips? We've tried coconut creamer, soy creamer, almond milk... Nothing takes away the natural bitterness of coffee like half and half.

Okay, that's it for today. This flu is still lingering and I get tired from just typing. Isn't that sad??

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I am doing well staying away from it also, and yes I think that is a Freudian slip! I'm sure the cookbook I gave you for Christmas has many suitable recipes for your trip. When I was a kid and we would drive to KY, we would stop at a grocery to buy lunch. Of course, that was white bread, bologna, and mustard, but I think you could grab a fruit salad, hummus, and crackers.

    ReplyDelete